Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Soul of a Cast Iron Skillet


What is this feeling I get when I use my Lodge Cast Iron skillet? I feel skilled and resourceful. Part of something bigger than just my kitchen.

I think it is a connection with women and men who cooked in cast iron on the prairie. It makes me think of my family, living in the Backbone woods of Marion County, IL. It makes me think of my grandma and her mom and so forth. I feel connected to them and I also feel connected to my food.

It may sound gross, but when a cast iron skillet is used correctly, it becomes seasoned. See, you don't wash it with soap. Just hot water. Then you dry it and oil it up real good so it doesn't rust. That makes me feel like every meal I've ever cooked in that skillet is still in it's soul. It hasn't been washed away.

Of course there are a few I'd like to wash away. It's slightly difficult to get used to cast iron. It gets really hot and stays really hot. Unlike our stainless or teflon pans. And food will stick. One morning, 5 or so years ago, I was so excited to make biscuits and gravy for some friends who spent the night. I cooked this beautiful country gravy in my cast iron skillet, feeling like a woman by a covered wagon. We plated it and dug in. The first bite was terrible. Disgusting. Revolting. Repulsive. I quickly grabbed away plates before anyone else could taste it. I had over cooked and burned the milk in the gravy. Wow, don't do that! We went to McDonald's that morning. And their biscuits and gravy left me wanting.

I eventually got the skillet out again and gave it another try. I learned to adjust the heat, keep it low and slow. And use some oil when necessary. Now I love to cook in it. Today's sausage gravy and cream biscuits turned out perfect! It gives a flavor I can't get from my new-fangled pans. And a feeling I can't get from them either. A reminder of my roots.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! You've got a blog! I just found out, but I've read both posts to catch up. The oreos in the last post look amazing, btw. I too love cast iron and have proudly "seasoned" several skillets from scratch, so they are solid black and make cooking a joy. Careful, blogging can be addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, SL...love it! I'll think of this when I use my cast iron skillet...twice a year for fried potatoes.....maybe I'll use it more often...low and slow.....ok....got it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Shannon! My mama often cooked in her cast iron skillet...she really liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging? I love the skillet motto: low and slow. Cast iron skillets are priceless.

    ReplyDelete